Whipped Grapefruit Mint Sugar Scrub

whipped Grapefruit Peppermint Body Scrub 2

I know spring is definitely not here yet, but it is surely on it’s way! That means its time for citrusy smells, lighter clothes, and sunshine to make their way into our minds again. The snow has melted here and the air is just slightly warmer. I’m feeling hopeful!

whipped Grapefruit Peppermint Body Scrub 4

One of the things I love as the weather warms up is a good, invigorating body scrub. Saying goodbye to your dead winter skin is a happy thing, and so is all the moisture your skin receives from the lush oils you find in scrubs.

I have used both store-bought and homemade sugar scrubs and can tell you that the homemade smell just as good, work just as well, and cost much, much less than the ones that you’ll find at the store.

grapefruit peppermint sugar scrub 1

This scrub uses coconut oil(huge fan of coconut oil over here! I use it on my face all the time and  it gives it such a smooth clarity.)to moisturize, sugar to exfoliate, and peppermint and grapefruit oils to wake you up,energize and  lift your mood, and leave you smelling lovely. It also has a double hit of grapefruit with oil and zest. I love to use doTERRA’s essential oils, but you could use any brand.

I added a little squidge of beet juice to give this scrub it’s pretty pink color. You could use red food dye, but I wanted something a little(LOT)more natural ;)

I would recommend using this scrub in the morning as opposed to the evening. Unless you are wanting to stay up later, then by all means, scrub away! Peppermint and grapefruit are great ‘wake me up’ scents. Scrub gently as well! Just a light pressure while you scrub will exfoliate your skin efficiently. Scrubbing too hard will result in sad, sore skin. So be gentle!

Keep Scrub refrigerated.

whipped Grapefruit Peppermint Body Scrub 6

Whipped Grapefruit Mint Sugar Scrub

Ingredients

• 1/2 C. Coconut Oil
  • 1/2 C. White Sugar
  • Zest of 1 Grapefruit
  • 1 T. Grapefruit Juice
  • 10 drops Peppermint Oil
  • 25 drops Grapefruit Oil
  • 1/4 t. Beet Juice(optional-for color)

Instructions

1. Place the firm coconut oil and white sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix together on low speed, until a thick paste is formed. Add the grapefruit zest, grapefruit juice, peppermint and grapefruit oil, and beet juice, if desired, to the mixture. Mix on low until incorporated and then turn the speed up to medium for about 20 seconds, or until mixture is well blended and fluffy. Store in an air-tight glass jar in the refrigerator.
Schema/Recipe SEO Data Markup by ZipList Recipe Plugin

whipped Grapefruit Peppermint Body Scrub title

Related posts:

Comments

1. Ana says

How long does this scrub lasts? As in does it have an expiration date? Do you not need to add a preservative since you are using juice?

• says

Hi Ana, the scrub should keep for several months. Keep it in the fridge if you are worried about the juice spoiling, or you could substitute water for the grapefruit juice and keep it out at room temperature. =)

2. says

wow that look awesome omg i really wanna make this, although it makes me sad cuz it reminds you of summer mornings lol….. anyway can u eat that it looks like flavoured sugar ahahha :P

3. Courtney says

Looks amazing! Can’t wait to make it. One question… Where can I find grapefruit and peppermint oil? Can they be found at the grocery store?

• says

Thanks Courtney! You can find peppermint and grapefruit oil anywhere that sells essential oils. I use doTERRA oils, which you can get online, but health food stores and stores like whole foods should carry essential oils as well =)

• says

Spearmint would be great in place of peppermint! Tea tree would be great for it’s invigorating properties, but the smell wouldn’t be quite the same. It would work though! =)

4. alligato says

thank you Your lovely pictures make me happy Spring is nearly here! beautiful shade of pink–absolutely lovely.

5. Danielle says

Hi there! How much does this recipe make? I am making this for a friends baby shower and will be putting the mixture into mason jars. Thanks!!

6. Margarette says

Hello and thank you for posting this recipe. I am looking forward to trying it. I just wanted to bring to your attention a little typo in the instructions…..

pasted from above: peppermint and grapefruit juice but I think you meant OIL in place of juice.

Thanks again!

• says

Hi Amber!
      I purchase mine through doTERRA(which you can get online), but you should be able to get essential oils at some health food stores, like whole foods.

7. Kelly says

hi, this sounds amazing….wouldn’t mind making it myself, just two questions….
    what do you mean by “firm” coconut oil and what is beet? is it beet root juice?
    xkel

• says

Hi Kelly! By firm coconut oil, I just mean that it needs to be solid at room temperature. Beet juice is beet root juice. You only need a very small amount. I cut one slice off of a beet and used the juice that was on the knife to dye the scrub pink.

8. Gabrielle says

This looks amazing! Can’t wait to try your recipe. I went to the doTERRA website…those are some pricey oils. Any reason these oils are better than others? Starwest botanical sells the oils for $4 to $8 a small bottle as opposed to a whopping $30 plus! My frugal is kicking in unless the other oils perform a lot better?

• says

Hi Gabrielle! doTERRA’s oils are definitely on the higher end…this is mostly because of how they are sourced. They are totally pure whereas many essential oil are mixed with other things. But for this recipe I really don’t think it matters a huge amount. It’s really more about the scent than anything else. I would want to go with the more frugal option, personally =)

9. Elise S. says

I cannot put into words how much I love this scrub:) It smells amazing, was super easy to make and leaves your skin feeling nourished. I got my oils from a local company here in the Okanagan Valley, BC, Canada and they weren’t too pricey, around $10/bottle. I made it in the stand mixer, so naturally my son thought it was food and ate a bit :S I was happy to see in the comments that you also tried some lol! I will definitely be making this for gifts in the future!

• says

Oh Man! We are having some really bad luck! Because of this plug-in issue I have to disable the recipes to enter a new post, which I have been doing for the last hour. You must have checked while I was doing that! It is working again, but just in case, here is the recipe:
          Ingredients

1/2 C. Coconut Oil
          1/2 C. White Sugar
          Zest of 1 Grapefruit
          1 T. Grapefruit Juice
          10 drops Peppermint Oil
          25 drops Grapefruit Oil
          1/4 t. Beet Juice(optional-for color)
          Instructions

Place the firm coconut oil and white sugar in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix together on low speed, until a thick paste is formed. Add the grapefruit zest, grapefruit juice, peppermint and grapefruit oil, and beet juice, if desired, to the mixture. Mix on low until incorporated and then turn the speed up to medium for about 20 seconds, or until mixture is well blended and fluffy. Store in an air-tight glass jar.

10. aditi says

AMMMMMMMMAAAAZIIINGGG…!!
    Was luking for a nice wake me up kinda scrub recipe and here it is..!
    (Cz here in india therez alot of it)
    Looks yummyy..lol..!!

It has juice and fresh ingredients in it..
    So how long wil it last..??
    Cz m planning to gift it to friend..
    N i’v heard that homemade scrubs with fresh ingredients or juices or water doesnt have a gud shelf life..!

11. Niki says

I love that this is whipped together. Is it safe to use on the face or should it be used only as a body scrub?

• says

Thanks Nikki! It probably depends on how sensitive your facial skin is. It has essential oils in it, so I just use it as a body scrub.

12. Kimberly says

This looks amazing! I am making it for my mom for Mother’s Day and I know she is going to love it!

I am going to be travelling to get to my mom for Mother’s Day, will the scrub stay ok at room temperature for a day? Or should I just use the water instead of grapefruit juice to be on the safe side?

• says

Thanks Kimberly! What a great idea to make this for a Mothers Day gift! I would probably just use water and maybe add a little extra grapefruit oil. The juice is just to give is a little extra grapefruit scent =)

13. Shelby says

I made this last night. I didn’t look as pretty as the picture though. :( I think it was too hot in my apartment and the oil got too soft and runny. Another problem I had was that it ended up smelling too heavily of peppermint. I tried making it again with just three drops of peppermint, but still too pepperminty. :( I think it may be the oil I used. The grapefruit oil wasn’t very strong smelling. I got the oils from Sprouts. It’s a health food store. I mean, it still smells good, and it works quite well. I used it last night and this morning my hands are still super soft. Ooh, another thing I tried was using Kosher salt because of its big crystals. It was okay. Definitely, can’t eat it. lol I think I like the smaller crystals of the sugar better. It’s a little gentler on the skin.

Trackbacks