The Mug Cakes have been getting out of hand around here. I fully blame Half Baked Harvest for that, thanks to this cake she posted last week. It really set me off, for some reason and now many, many mug cakes have been had in our house.
I made this one on a snowy, rainy day, just before I picked my oldest up from school. My two littlest could not stay out of the kitchen because they had been told this cake involved strawberries and Nutella. Two of their favorite things. Good thing mug cakes cook quickly. There is NO way they could have waited for a full, oven-baked cake to be finished.
This particular mug cake starts with a fluffy layer of chocolate cake, which is gluten free and oh so soft. The bottom of the cake is filled with a pool of melt-y rich Nutella. I topped it off with a giant scoop of dairy-free Coconut Whipped Cream loaded with the sweetest strawberries and a drizzle of Nutella for good measure.
As soon as we got back from the after school pick-up the four of us all shared this cake and after every crumb was gone, my daughter made a beeline for the jar of coconut whipped cream and strawberries and licked it clean. And she claims to not like coconut.
This recipe calls for coconut palm sugar, which I like to use because it cuts down on the refined sugars. If you didn’t have it, I would recommend using white or brown sugar but cutting the volume down to 3 tablespoons instead of 4. I find I need a little bit more coconut palm sugar to make it as sweet as I want(which isn’t super sweet).
Also, you could use regular white flour if you didn’t have oat. But I do like the texture the oat flour gives, it seems to make the cake softer than traditional white flour. I think the white flour and the gluten it contains makes the cake a bit too gummy.
- ¼ C. + 1 T. Oat Flour
- ¼ t. Baking Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 2 T. Cocoa Powder
- 4 T. Coconut Palm Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 3 T. Coconut oil, melted
- 3 T. Almond or Coconut Milk
- 2 T. Nutella
- 1½ T. Hot Coffee or Water
- FOR THE WHIPPED CREAM:
- ¼ C. Solid Coconut Cream(usually forms on the top of a can of coconut milk)
- 1 T. Honey
- 3 large Strawberries, Chopped
- Extra Nutella, for drizzling on top
- Add the oat flour, baking powder, salt, cocoa powder, and coconut palm sugar to a large mug and combine with a fork.
- Add the egg and coconut oil to the mug and mix in with the fork until a smooth batter forms, making sure to blend in all of the flour on the sides and bottom of the mug.
- Add the milk and mix in well.
- Place the Nutella in the center of the batter and pour the hot coffee or water over the top.
- Microwave for about 1 minute and 25 seconds(more or less depending on how strong your microwave is).
- FOR THE CREAM:
- Whip the coconut cream and honey together with an electric mixer for 2-3 minutes. Fold in the chopped strawberries.
- Place on top of slightly cooled mug cake.
- Drizzle with more Nutella, if desired.
Cake recipe adapted from Half Baked Harvest.