I’m big on citrus this time of year(aren’t we all?) and this is the perfect salad to showcase it. This salad is full of glossy, sweet/tart grapefruits and they are shown at their best by not adding too much to the dish. They can shine on their own with just a bit of avocado to add smoothness in taste and contrast in color.
A simple vinaigrette is drizzled over the top of the salad made with honey, creole mustard and grapefruit juice.
Simple but stunning. That’s the name of the citrus showcasing game.
Make sure to drizzle the vinaigrette over the top of the salad just before you serve it. If it sits for awhile, the vinaigrette with mix with the juice runoff from the grapefruit slices and slide off of the salad, loosing the flavorful impact it would add otherwise.
The vinaigrette can be made ahead of time, just make sure to give it a good shake or stir before using to re-emulsify the components.
And, of course, use the sweetest grapefruit that you can find 😉 Look for smooth skins as opposed to bumpy. Those will always be your best bet.
- 3 Grapefruit
- 2 Avocado, firm but ripe
- ½ T. Creole Mustard
- 1½ T. Honey
- 1 T. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 T. Grapefruit Juice
- ¼ t. Coarse Salt
- ½ t. Red Wine Vinegar
- Freshly Grated Black Pepper
- Using a sharp serrated knife, peel and segment the grapefruit. Reserve 1 tablespoon of the juice(this is easily extracted from the pith remains of the grapefruit...just squeeze into a cup).
- Cut the avocados in half, remove pit, and slice thinly.
- FOR THE DRESSING:
- Place the mustard, honey, oil, grapefruit juice, salt, and red wine vinegar in a small bowl. Whisk until emulsified.
- Arrange the grapefruit and avocado slices on a platter and drizzle with the vinaigrette.
- Grate black pepper over the top of the salad. Serve immediately.